Cheese Stuffed Giant Shells
Put your big kid to work spooning the filling into these yummy stuffed giant shells. When the baking is done, let her garnish with fresh basil.
- 12 jumbo shells
- 2 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1 227-g pkg cremini mushrooms , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 cup extra-smooth ricotta
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 1/4 tsp salt , divided
- 1 796-mL can whole tomatoes , drained well
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cook shells in a large pot of boiling water following package directions (omitting salt) until tender, 14 to 16 min. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 8 to 10 min. Stir in garlic and cook 2 more min. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in ricotta, basil and 1/8 tsp salt until combined.
- Crush tomatoes finely, using hands or a wooden spoon, in a medium bowl. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/8 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper. Spread half of tomato sauce over the bottom of an 8 x 8-in. baking dish. Fill each shell with a heaping tbsp of ricotta mixture, then arrange in baking dish, open side up. Spoon remaining tomato sauce overtop. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake in centre of oven until cheese melts and shells are warmed through, 10 to 12 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 15 g,
- 26 g,
- 18 g,
- 3 g,
- 455 mg.
Originally published in the Today’s Parent February 2016 issue, this recipe has a triple-tested guarantee from the Chatelaine Kitchen. Photo by Erik Putz.LESEN SIE MEHR: