Sweet Potato French Toast
Veggies make a sneaky cameo in this French toast recipe. It’s so delicious, your kids won’t even notice.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 slices spelt bread
- 4 cups swet potato puree
- 2 eggs
- 5 cups milk
- 1 tsp agave nectar , or maple syrup
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg , to taste
- agave nectar , or maple syrup for drizzling
- Melt 1 tbsp of the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Cut each slice of bread into four lengthwise sticks.
- Whisk the sweet potato purée with the eggs, milk and agave nectar. Add the cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. Sink each stick from two slices of bread in the egg mixture and flip to coat completely. Place the eggsoaked bread 8 sticks at a time into the hot pan.
- Cook for 3 mins and then flip. Cook for another 2 mins and remove from the pan. Add the remaining 1 tbsp of butter to the pan and cook the remaining sticks of bread. Stack and serve warm with maple syrup or agave nectar.
Originally published in the September 2013 issue. Recipe by Sweet Potato Chronicles, photo by Maya Visnyei.
Seafood swap series: Crispy chipotle air fryer crab cake sliders
Seafood swap series: Crispy BLTTs with ultimate sauce
5 easy no-bake desserts for every occasion
Seafood swap series: Potato chip-crusted halibut and chips
© Copyright 2022 St. Joseph Communications.